Jun 6, 2014. Part 1/10. The terrifying decision has been made to start this project over, completely. I carefully tore it down over the course of 3 days, reducing it to several over-loaded spools of thread, and began crocheting it anew at about 60% of the original size. During the tear-down I found a few things to help assure me that this was the right thing to do. First, and most importantly, scaling it down means that completion time decreases. B) There were many string ends and knots exposed at the front of the work, and there wasn't much I could do to turn them back. C) The beginning of the work was all right handed stitches, which meant that (had I completed it) the first ~1/8 of the piece would be different. D) The very beginning of the work was of incorrect gauge--that is, the stitches were much bigger, which meant that it would have had something of a "skirt" shape near the bottom.
Those things put together are all learning experiences, but the only reason to keep them in this project would be to save several years of work (and pauses). Restarting the project at its current size, I believe I can finish it in a few months, and it will be up to par with my other current work, at least in terms of technical skill. It is also incredibly encouraging to be able to finish one row in less than an hour, and to be able to make as many as 4 on a day with no plans. 10 progress pictures, as opposed to 28...I sure hope it's worth the undoing.
Author and Artist
I finally realize the importance of the dated progress page...it shows just how much I'm actually working!